How to get TOR Browser running on new install

Hi
Just installed Parrot 4.7 on an early 2015 Macbook Air. All now working well, except for couple of items (yet to discover more, but Facetime camera not working is one of the minor issues) The real problem is Tor-Browser simply will not start, just an opening screen, then gone, crashed Tor Browser Launcher settings shows Tor status as not installed, download set to 127.0.0.1:9050 and a mirror site also selected. Save and run Tor-browser and it attempts to download, Traceback cut and pasted below. Any suggestions will be hugely welcomed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/torbrowser_launcher/launcher.py”, line 603, in run
self.common.refresh_keyring()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/torbrowser_launcher/common.py”, line 199, in refresh_keyring
‘–refresh-keys’], stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py”, line 800, in init
restore_signals, start_new_session)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py”, line 1551, in _execute_child
raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/usr/bin/gpg2’: ‘/usr/bin/gpg2’
Aborted

try removing Tor completely:

sudo apt remove torbrowser-launcher

then reinstall it:

sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher

Let me know if this works for you. If you still get the gpg2 error go ahead and install gpg2 (it may have been a broken package in your latest old Parrot to brand new Parrot upgrade adventures :sweat_smile:

Followed your advice to the letter, uninstalled and re-installed, then checked if it is working.
Starting Tor-browser-launcher brings up a dialogue box with information that its not going to download over Tor Network and that its Status is not installed and then has options:
Tor Server: 127.0.0.1:9050
and a list of options for mirrors

If I try the Install Tor Browser button, it immediately switches to a download box, which appears for brief moment, all I can read is ‘downloading signatures’ before it disappears.

Attemtping to start Tor-Browser does exactly the same thing -downloading dialogue box for brief moment, then nothing, crashes out.

Am I doing something stupid?

I had a issue with onionshare that i couldnt share my files over tor. So i tried the apparmor fix and it worked.

open the file: sudo nano /etc/apparmor.d/local/torbrowser.Browser.firefox
paste: owner /{dev,run}/shm/org.mozilla.*.* rw, and save the file
restart service: systemctl restart apparmor

I dont know if it could help you but i would try it ^^

1 Like

Definitely was worth the try - but sadly, it made no difference.
Still no Tor

Try again - here is perhaps a clue as to what is happening (or not happening) when I try to launch Torbrowser-launcher

Blockquote
┌─[phil@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $torbrowser-launcher
Tor Browser Launcher
By Micah Lee, licensed under MIT
version 0.3.2
https://github.com/micahflee/torbrowser-launcher
Downloading Tor Browser for the first time.
Downloading https://aus1.torproject.org/torbrowser/update_3/release/Linux_x86_64-gcc3/x/en-US
Latest version: 9.0.1
Downloading https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/9.0.1/tor-browser-linux64-9.0.1_en-US.tar.xz.asc
Downloading https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/9.0.1/tor-browser-linux64-9.0.1_en-US.tar.xz
Verifying Signature
Refreshing local keyring…
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/torbrowser_launcher/launcher.py”, line 589, in verify
c.verify(signature=sig, signed_data=signed)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gpg/core.py”, line 541, in verify
raise errors.BadSignatures(results[1], results=results)
gpg.errors.BadSignatures: EB774491D9FF06E2: Bad signature

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/torbrowser_launcher/launcher.py”, line 600, in run
verify()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/torbrowser_launcher/launcher.py”, line 594, in verify
raise Exception
Exception

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/torbrowser_launcher/launcher.py”, line 603, in run
self.common.refresh_keyring()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/torbrowser_launcher/common.py”, line 199, in refresh_keyring
‘–refresh-keys’], stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py”, line 800, in init
restore_signals, start_new_session)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py”, line 1551, in _execute_child
raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/usr/bin/gpg2’: ‘/usr/bin/gpg2’
Aborted

Blockquote

sudo apt remove torbrowser-launcher

wget https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/9.0.1/tor-browser-linux64-9.0.1_en-US.tar.xz
tar -xvf tor-browser-linux64-9.0.1_en-US.tar.xz
cd tor-browser_en
sudo ./start-tor-browser.desktop
ln -s start-tor-browser.desktop ~/Desktop/start-tor-browser.desktop
try it this way, put the CD folder, after all, everything should work, do not forget to check sig

That works, it brings up the Torbrowser as it should do, thanks for solution

suggestion: drag some shortcuts until it’s figured out so you don’t have to open the directory. Tor updates itself so no worries there :slight_smile:

Just figured that out about 5 seconds before your message arrived. So much has improved with Linux over the last 15 years - I am most impressed

2 Likes